Upcoming Cruises

TBD

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

S. KOREA AT THE OLYMPICS: Will Mo challenge Davis in 1000?

Posted: Feb 17, 12:19a ET | Updated: Feb 17, 12:33a ET

South Korean won 500m on Day 4; Davis holds WR in 1000m

RICHMOND (AP) -- Suddenly, the race is on.

All those who considered Shani Davis a lock to win the 1000m at the Richmond Olympic Oval might want to hedge their bets just a bit. There's an up-and-comer from South Korea who's already claimed gold at the Vancouver Games, and he's looking forward to giving Davis a serious challenge in his best event Wednesday.

Watch South Korean Mo Tae-Bum claim the men's 500m gold medal.

Mo Tae-Bum was a surprising winner in the 500m, setting himself up quite nicely for a race that's twice as long, the one in which Davis is the world-record holder and defending Olympic champion.

"I'm even more confident going into my other events," Mo said, who gave himself quite a present Monday for his 21st birthday.

Davis, on the other hand, might be having a few doubts after his first two events of these Olympics. He finished 12th in the 5000m -- nearly 14 seconds behind winner Sven Kramer -- and didn't even bother finishing the 500 after placing 18th in the first of two heats.

Deciding it was time to start focusing on the 1000m, Davis called in a day, leaving the spotlight to the 21-year-old South Korean who likes fast cars, fast motorcycles -- and going fast himself.

"The 500 meters was not my strongest," Mo said through a translator. "However, I am looking forward to the 1,000 and will try to do my best."

Indeed, coming into the Olympics, Mo was only ranked 14th in the 500m, having failed to crack the podium in any event this season. But he's second to Davis in the 1000m standings, and there's already been a bit of gamesmanship between the two during their previous encounters.

"I asked Shani before about the corner techniques and he said, 'Oh, we are rivals, we are competitors, so I won't be able to talk about that,'" Mo said.

Don't count out Davis by any means based on his first two events.

He's already the first African-American to win an individual gold medal at the Winter Games, capturing the 1000m title four years ago in Torino, and his entire focus leading up to Vancouver has been on his two best events. (He won silver in the 1500m in 2006.)

"Everything's OK, everything's fine," Davis said early in the week. "I'm really looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead of me."

He decided there was no need to take part in the second heat of the 500m. A medal was out of reach, and he would only risk hurting himself in the all-out sprint.

"I think above all he wants to be fresh for the 1,000, and he wants to get ready for the 1,500 as well," said Nathaniel Mills, a former Olympic speed skater who is serving as Davis' spokesman. "The 500 has one of the greatest risks of injury, and he just wanted to play it safe since he got everything he wanted to get out of this race."

At least one skater was willing to make a prediction on Wednesday's showdown.

"I think Shani will win," said fellow American Tucker Fredricks .

If nothing else, Davis seems more at ease than he did at his two previous Olympics. He dealt with allegations that a fixed race got him on the 2002 short track team as an alternate, and a high-profile feud with teammate Chad Hedrick overshadowed their brilliant performances on the long track in Italy.

"I'm telling myself to keep on enjoying, enjoying, enjoy the Olympics. I had two Olympics beforehand that weren't quite good for me. This time, it's a whole different story. I'm having a lot of fun," Davis said. "I'm really excited to go out there and showcase what I can do. I'm just itching to do it. I just can't wait to go out there and do it."

The U.S. speed skaters could sure use a boost after a slow start at the oval.

It's been a different story for the South Koreans.

A country known more for its prowess on the short track already has won a pair of medals at the big oval. Lee Seung-hoon claimed an unexpected silver in the men's 5000m on Saturday. Mo did even better, winning his country's first Winter Olympics gold in a sport other than short track.

"I absolutely did not expect it," he said. "I dreamt it, imagined it, but I didn't expect it at all."

His bio on the Olympic information system was rather barren. Heck, there wasn't even a picture.

So, tell us a little about yourself.

"I'm am a person who likes dangerous stuff," Mo said. "I like scary things and dares."

How about this one: Can you knock off Davis in his signature event?

Tune in Wednesday.

Related to this article

Video

Slideshows

Stories

View AP Article on NBC Olympics

No comments:

Post a Comment