Upcoming Cruises

TBD

Friday, February 12, 2010

JAPAN AT THE OLYMPICS: Luge: Japan's Oguchi is luge lone ranger


Whistler (AFP) - It's a lonesome job if you'e a Japanese luger, but that won't deter Japan's Takahisa Oguchi as he targets a shock medal at the Vancouver Games.

The student slider from Matsumoto city just missed a top-10 finish in Wednesday training at the Whistler Sliding Centre and on Thursday said he's gunning for all the German speakers who traditionally dominate his discipline.

And with home expectations low Oguchi says he can relax as his country's sole entrant in the sport plots a shock podium finish.

"It's my third Olympics so it doesn't feel like too much pressure," said the 31-year-old from Shinshu University.

Success lies, he explains, very much in the mind's eye.

"Yesterday (Wednesday) I knew that the image of the track in my mind was wrong and so before I went to sleep last night I spent a long time creating a new image.

"It worked. I woke up and I was faster," culminating in the 14th fastest time on the opening run.

Even a late night session on recalcitrant equipment didn't spoil his night's rest.

"Yesterday one of my runners was a little too round so I spent time sharpening. In fact I was up until 12.30 a.m."

View article...

No comments:

Post a Comment